Monday 28 April 2008

Extracts from a short story in Bret Easton Ellis's The Informers. The story is told in a series of letters going one way as the recipient does not reply. Through the series of letters we see the change of personality of the writer.


'And everything seems so clean and to move much more slowly in a very relaxed way. But yet I don't feel too safe here yet. I feel vulnerable-like I'm in this big open environment. I look at all these people roaming around: the beautiful, healthy, tan men and the elegant women and everyone drives a Mercedes and it's just so hard to describe it.'


'Jan 29 1984
Dear Sean,
Doesn't it seem like a long time since I've written you? I guess I'm not much into it anymore. Well, I'm still around and alive, so don't worry. Can you believe I'm actually staying here? That I've already been here five months? Oh God. Well, I guess I won't be going back to Camden in the fall. I've gotten so used to things out here.'

No comments: